What is JDBC?
JDBC refers to the Java Database Connectivity. It provides java API that allows Java programs to access database management systems (relational database). The JDBC API consists of a set of interfaces and classes which enables java programs to execute SQL statements. Interfaces and classes in JDBC API are written in java.
JDBC core components:
The JDBC API consists of the following core components:
- JDBC Drivers
1. JDBC Drivers:
JDBC driver is a collection of classes which implements interfaces defined in the JDBC API for opening database connections, interacting with database and closing database connections.
Before performing any database operation via JDBC, we have to open a database connection. To open a database connection we can call getConnection() method of DriverManager class.
Connection connection = DriverManager.getConnection(url, user, password)
The JDBC statements are used to execute the SQL or PL/SQL queries against the database. We need a statement for every single query. JDBC API defines the Statement, CallableStatement, and PreparedStatement types of statements.
A query returns the data in the form of ResultSet. To read the query result date ResultSet provides a cursor that points to the current row in the result set.
- Steps to connect database in java
- Connect to Oracle database with JDBC driver
- Connect to MySql database with JDBC driver
- JDBC Statement interface
- JDBC Statement creates a table example
- JDBC Statement inserts a record example
- JDBC Statement updates a record example
- Select record using statement JDBC
- Delete record using statement JDBC
- Batch update using statement JDBC
- JDBC PreparedStatement interface
- Create table using PreparedStatement JDBC
- Inserts record using PreparedStatement JDBC
- Update record using PreparedStatement JDBC
- Select record using PreparedStatement JDBC
- Delete record using PreparedStatement JDBC
- Batch update using PreparedStatement JDBC
- JDBC CallableStatement interface
- JDBC CallableStatement Stored procedure IN parameter example
- JDBC CallableStatement Stored procedure OUT parameter
- JDBC CallableStatement Stored procedure batch update
- Store file in database using JDBC
- Retrieve file from database in java
- Store image in database in java
- Retrieve image from database in java
- JDBC transaction management
- JDBC ResultSetMetaData interface
- JDBC DatabaseMetaData interface
- JDBC batch processing
- JDBC driver
JDBC interview questions: